38 weeks tonight! There's a full moon tonight as well, it's a shame it couldn't wait a week or two so that it might actually work for me.
Went to the midwife's today. I met the last one, who I actually liked quite a bit. She's the oldest out of the midwives and was very matter-of-fact, but she didn't beat around the bush and she seemed to know what she was talking about. I asked her about the water birth and how to go about doing all of that. She said that buying my own pool was just fine, she didn't care at all (I wanted to make sure of this before buying it tonight) and told me that when I call to come in, to tell them that I want the water birth and I'm bringing my own pool so they'll set up the large room (which is the one I really wanted, the small one is just way too small!) and they'll have all the tools ready (they'll blow my pool up using their air compressor, and they'll also fill it up and empty it out for us as well.) In the orientation, the nurse said that they take women out to deliver the baby, which worried me because the whole reason I wanted to do a water birth was for the actual birth - the water helps to soften and stretch the skin, to ease contractions, and I really liked the idea of lifting the baby out of the water and into her first breath of air. The midwife told me that as long as everything stays normal, I can deliver her in the water. The reason I might have to get out is for a long labor that needs assistance, or if there's meconium. She also gave me a waiver to sign that says I want a water birth, so I'm all set.
I also asked her about how I have such huge pressure down in my lower belly/pelvis area. She checked it out and said that the baby's head is descending down further and is causing that pressure, and that it's a good sign. She said it's good I'm having a lot of BHs as well. Baby's heart rate was 144, and my fundal height dropped from being 36'' two weeks ago to being 33'' now. She said that's from the baby working her way down and causing me to drop. She said my weight gain was perfectly on schedule, though laughed when I pouted at her because I disliked the number.
Bill asked her if there was any way she could tell if I was going to go soon or still showed signs of hanging in for a few weeks, but she said there wasn't any way to tell. It's good her head is in position and my body is doing all the right things, but it didn't mean much - I could go any day, or I could go weeks overdue at this point, there's no way to really tell. I do feel better that she's making her way down though. This midwife, just like the doctor, could immediately feel around her head and say where it was (unsure of why the other midwife couldn't, this one even showed me where the head was, and taught me where to push down to feel the round hard spot, so I got to feel her head too!)
I think that's everything, it was a pretty short appointment but I was glad to have gotten the answers to some of my questions (even though when she asked me if I had any questions, I said no. It took me about fifteen seconds to say "Wait, yes I do! I have quite a few questions!")
Anyway, two weeks left to go until due date!
No comments:
Post a Comment