Katie slept through the night last night! She did so well that I had to keep waking up to check on her. Last night around 10 we went for a long walk, which she wasn't fond of because it was so hot out still and I had her in my heavy moby wrap (by the time we were back home, I was dripping in sweat! Not something I'm used to, usually I can do that walk just fine!). Since she was still fussy and wide awake and the walk had no affect on her sleepiness, I went with Bill to go to the store since we needed a few things (and besides trying to tire out Katie, I really wanted ice cream!) She ended up sleeping through the whole time we were shopping, but somehow her going in the car and sleeping in stores makes her so tired that she'll pass out for quite a few hours anyway. It's good she was sleeping - by the time we got to the store it was about 11:30, and yet there were still quite a few shoppers in the store, which isn't usual, and everyone wanted to take a peek at the baby. One woman even followed me for a good 15 feet saying "oooh, a baby! A baby! I want to see the baby!" (This is one of the reasons why I don't take Katie many places!) Thankfully no one touched her, which is one of my big no no's!
Anyway, I got her home and she woke up a bit, so I nursed her back down to sleep and she wouldn't wake up for quite a few hours after that! Which wasn't all good, I leaked out of both sides about three times last night and all over me and the bed. I kept trying to get her to eat, but she'd just get angry with me and go back to sleep - just like she always does when I try to wake her! She has quite the temper already.
But she ended up sleeping 5 -6 hours, and I managed to feed her a little around the three hour mark. I woke up quite a few times, at 4 AM is one time I remember, where I had to tend to my leaking situation until it stopped and I could go back to sleep. Maybe I'm not ready for her to sleep through the night! But I was glad that something worked on her. I found that car rides tend to make her pass out right when it first starts to go - she's done that for every doctor appointment and shopping trip we've been on, which I'm very happy about, since there's few things worse than an angry, cranky baby that's locked into a seat screaming her head off.
We took her to Petco last week, since Sophie needed a lesson and I needed to go to Babies R Us. I've seen everyone there every week since I was 6 or 7 months pregnant, so they all loved finally seeing Katie. Thankfully since they've been around me for so long, they're respectful enough that I didn't have to worry about all the women in the group trying to touch her - everyone stayed a few feet back to look. I found out that while Katie doesn't even hear Sophie's very loud barks, she hates any other dog bark! The dog trainer, who is terrified of pregnancy and babies, created a space just for me with a big fence so that no person or dog could get close to me and Katie! It was really nice to get out that day with her, since she hadn't slept in two or three nights and I was going batty between no sleep and not seeing anything outside of my bedroom. She slept well that night after we got her home!
We've only taken her out places about 4 or 5 times now, including doctor appointments. Once she gets vaccinated I might feel a bit better about taking her out, but right now, besides when the two of us start going crazy on no sleep, I like her home best. It's much easier. While I don't mind breastfeeding in the car in parking lots or at the doctor's, I'm not able to do it covered up in stores or anywhere, so it's just easier for me to keep her where I can nurse her when she cries. I get a little panicked and feel stuck when I'm at a store and she starts to fuss, because I don't really know what to do with her! Thankfully the only time she started to cry in a store, patting her butt worked her back to sleep instead.
She's getting more and more used to her swing. I woke her up this morning and fed her for quite a while, then put her in the swing so I could run to the bathroom. I came back and she was sleeping in it. It seems to put her to sleep almost every time now, so I can quick run around and get a few things done. I'm going to be sad when she grows out of that thing!
No comments:
Post a Comment