My mission this week is to read my sleep books that help get babies to sleep better and on a schedule, and to give her a routine. Maybe a bath every night, reading to her in the glider, then off to bed with the seahorse. Oh! The seahorse! I bought her the cutest face pink seahorse the other day. originally meant for Christmas until 4 AM came and she was still awake. She loves it! At first it makes her smile and giggle to see it, and then it slowly calms her down and lulls her into being relaxed and sleepy. Btw, what do you name a pink seahorse?
While buying the seahorse, I found the prettiest baby furniture set ever. Disney Princess has it's own line of furniture now - with a beautiful white canope crib with bows built it...it's lovely! I told Bill about it and even got him to say that if we actually had a little girl who used her crib, we could consider buying the set (as it's a lifetime crib) for Katie and give the one we have for a boy that eventually comes along. But...Katie doesn't sleep in her crib, and she barely sleeps in her bassinette. But maybe...she did sleep an entire 40 minutes in her bassinette yesterday.
I LOVE this weather! It's not terribly hot, but it's not at all cold. It's perfect! Katie and I have been enjoying it every day. Our new maya sling has been getting tons of use, as we've been taking daily walks up to the grocery store to shop for anything we need for that day. Sometimes we don't need anything so we'll walk up there, look around the aisles, grab a cold drink and head back again. And sometimes we stop off at the library to extend the walk. I so hope this weather continues, it's absolutely wonderful, and it's fun just shopping as the two of us! This all started because I headed up to buy ingredients to make Bill a birthday cake and dinner, and realized that the walk was a good one (all uphill one way) and it was fun to have a little human interaction (no offense, of course, to the dog and baby!) There's always a bunch of people out who wave hi and say how cute Katie is. A guy was sitting on his porch yesterday and laughed as I passed by. I looked up at him wondering why, and he called down (as he was on a hill) that from up there, it looked like I was carrying a potato sack. Now he sees that I'm carrying a very special "potato!" I wasn't sure if I should be offended or not, but I laughed and waved at him as I walked by. Nobody knows what a sling or a wrap is. I"m constantly asked and commented on them. They don't seem to be popular at all around here, I've never seen even ONE other person wearing one.
The good news for today - Bill finally found his wedding ring. It's been lost since Katie was only two or three days old. At first, he said he knew he took it off when he went to help give her a bath. So I ripped apart the nursery searching. Nothing. Then he said he knew he went to sleep with it on and woke up without it. Okay, then we lifted up the bed, searched every dresser drawer, and lifted up side tables. Nothing. Finally we're rearranging the attic and he's lifting up sofas. Under the long one is the ring. Great timing, since this Saturday we have to go get all three of our wedding rings inspected and cleaned for our warrenty. I'm thinking about holding on to his, just to ensure that he doesn't lose it again beforehand.
There's a Halloween costume contest at Petco next weekend for dogs. Now, neither Bill nor I want to dress Sophie up (though I do know exactly how I would for very cheap, but besides the point...), but I wondered if it would count if I just put a pink bow on Sophie's ear, then dressed Katie up in her Bernese Mountain dog costume with a pink bow at the ear - they could be entered as the Bernese Mountain Twins. Idk, I thought it was cute, but it probably wouldn't count since Sophie wouldn't be dressed up as anything.
Well, it's already 3 PM, and I have a ton of work to get done and need to head up to the grocery store within the hour (I have to wait until it's less hot out and avoid the school traffic, but not go too late that it starts getting dark.) However, I'm mainly walking up to get desitin.
Canopy Disney Crib:
Katie is so ready to eat that salad!
This is her "Please, mommy?" face:
This is how she tends to sleep - with her hands behind her head!
Lol my only response to this is...wth is he taking his ring off for??? He bought it for a reason!! *End rant*
ReplyDeletelol
Good luck with miss katie's sleep. At least you have time to geg her in a routine...I'll have to have something of a routine with and without me established before we hit 12 weeks...thankfully if this one has days and nights mixed up it wont be bad for me - just J lol
He takes it off when his hands are in the water bc they become slippery (I take mine off for doing dishes, bathing Katie, showers too bc they suddenly get loose) and his fingers shrink and swell so it was always falling off in his sleep. Half the time he'd get out of bed and I'd see it embedded into his back!
ReplyDeleteDo you have a plan on how to get the baby into a routine? A book that everyone I know swears by (and the one I'm going to start doing for Katie) is the No Cry Sleep Solution. It's a gentle way to get them to sleep on a schedule and for longer periods at a time. Another one is Dr. Sears sleep book.
Forgot to mention that Bill works on fixing big machines all day. He's not allowed to wear a wedding ring during that time because of how it can take his finger off. So we bought it knowing he'd basically only wear it when we went out, in the mornings and on days he doesn't work. He loves his ring and was obsessed about finding it, but he goes half the day without an opportunity to show it off. I wear 30 sparkling diamonds on my finger, but they're more often sitting pretty in my jewelry box while I deal with dishes, baths, frequent hand washing, etc - that takes up half my day! Rings just aren't very practical.
ReplyDeleteI was [mostly] teasing really - my MIL gets in trouble all the time for wearing her engagement ring there, and she's not even on the line anymore!
ReplyDeleteI honestly haven't had a chancw to read anything on it yet - mostly I've been researching nursery stuff and finding stuff for J to read. Now that I've figured out where MY library is (wow is it in an out of the way spot!! But so conveniently next to the pool...), I need to get my card info updated next week when I'm off so I can start ordering books. My moms got a huge selection of labor materials (duh lol), but not much for after
ps - turn off your captcha!!! Lol
Does your MiL work at the same place? Also I didn't know captcha was on! It's on yours as well, might be from when they redid the site.
ReplyDeleteThere's a lot of good books, but the problem you'll have is many of them say you need to wait to get a baby on a schedule until 4 months old, because before then they have no conprehension. They sleep when tired and don't sleep when not and you can't do much to keep them up or down if they don't want to. They also have every few week growth spurts and get shots, which severly mess up sleep patterns. But the first 4 months are the hardest no matter what you do, it seems like that's the one thing that all moms can agree on!
Yeah, shes been there about three years now. She does some kind of QC thing on second shift...and her fiance works the line on dayshift (different building).
ReplyDeleteSadly I wont be the one suffering if s/he doesnt get on a normal.schedule...I dont think J quite knows what he's in for!
Yikes, don't count on it! Deka is known for it's crazy scheduling and very sudden mandatory 6/7 days that come out of the blue. I know it's different for Bill side he's a supervisor, but he never knows when he'll have a day off or what shift he'll work on the mandatory overtime, or even when he suddenly is required to stay a few hours extra.
ReplyDeleteHopefully Jason has some support system that's able to come help him out if he needs it (your mom? Brothers? His dad?) since it seems like guys have a harder time being the main caregiver and hearing babies cry (I know my dad couldn't stand baby cries, it drove him insane - I've since learned that that's how most men are!) than women do. I'm sure he doesn't know what's about to hit him - even me, being around my siblings as a teenager from when they were born and witnessing it 4 times over and helping out didn't quite realize how hard it was to actually do it myself, along with having so many other responsibilities to attend to at the same time. Learning to balance everything with lack of sleep is probably te hardest part!