Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Katie seems like she has her nights and days mixed up again. Not sure how, as I make it very clear when it's night time and when it's time for bed. Lately she seems to think we're having loads of fun while she's sleeping and desperately wants to be a part of it so she constantly fights me with going to sleep. She refuses to be nursed down, as she constantly has to look around to find where all the fun is. She knows it's somewhere! Last night she constantly broke our latch and kept turning to look at her daddy. I guess she thought "hey, that's the man who plays games with me! Maybe if I yell loud enough he'll want to be fun again." so she kept staring at him and calling to him. What she failed to understand was that Bill had to wake up at 4 am and, like she should have been, was already asleep. Still it took her a long time to finally give up and go to sleep. She's very tired of being treated like a baby now. She wants to be a big kid and she's gonna scream and stay awake to demand she be treated like one! She's doing it again tonight.

Its like she knows that I have Chinese food upstairs waiting for me, something we only splurge on once every 3-4 months. To end this chilly day Bill and I decided to grab Chinese food and eat it while watching a movie. Katie fell asleep, I put her in bed, set up the camera, did a happy "she's actually sleeping" dance up the stairs, sat down and opened my Chinese containers, put my fork in, told Bill how awesome it was that she was asleep, and went to take my first bite. Yep, that's when she started to cry. I ran down, got her and brought her up, then shovelled as much as I could in while watching a movie through her waaahs and squeaks. When she kept crying and wouldn't nurse, I brought her down to bed as her nap was only ten minutes long. I've been trying to get her down for over a half hour. She's still crying and insisting she knows I have fun plans and wants to go with. Meanwhile my food is now ice cold and I have a dog sniffing it up in hopes that I don't come back for it. So much for a nice evening!

Katie saw her first snow today. She was very interested in it for about 20 seconds, then she was done. It's ok, that's as long as I cared for it. If it's not Christmas morning, I don't want it to be under 60 degrees out (Christmas it can snow though, who doesn't like a white snowed in Christmas? Maybe we'll get it this year.) I'm Mr. Heat Miser, but that defintely makes Bill mr. Snow Miser. He hates summer and loves the snow. He wore shorts today in this blizzard. I had him put sweatpants on like a normal human being when he came home.

The snow put me in a big Christmas mood today, despite it still being two days shy of Halloween. I looked up tree toppers and found an adorable Mickey and Minnie one, where they're kissing under mistletoe. Bill didn't like it though, he said he didn't want Christmas to be totally commercialized and would rather an angel or star. I understood and agreed, but told him I'd go along with that as long as he gave me another girl next. Then they'd get their own little Christmas tree in their bedroom decorated completely in princess and Disney. I think I got the better end of the bargain! So now I'm shopping for neat looking normal tree toppers. I haven't found an angel I like yet, so we may go with a star.

Katie is grabbing at my wrist and giggling. I guess she decided now that she's going to make her own amusement. She's laughing in the dark, refusing to nurse and grabbing at me wherever she can reach.

Bill just came in with an eggroll for me and the DVD to watch on a little DVD player. I guess this is plan B for us. One day I'll get this munkin to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried not responding to her and just letting her cry? I know it is hard to do (believe me, I KNOW!), but she may be staying awake and asking for more attention because you are already giving it to her by going to get her right away, or talking to her, or having even one light on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't let her cry it out, but I do shut the lights off and not respond to whines except to nurse. I try not talking/responding/touching except me laying beside her, which is near impossible when she grabs my arm and hugs it to herself!

    She definitely knows when it's time to sleep, but she slipped into a bad schedule. The last few days she's been taking 4-5 hour naps in the afternoon and then staying up late. Wanting to get the house clean and caught up, I let her take those long naps for two days and now I have this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't do cry it out either, but sometimes we find that if we don't respond (go get) right away, then he might calm down. If not, we go when we can-- as in, we don't rush the moment he cries. I hate the cry it out method, but also believe that babies need to be taught they they aren't going to get what they want (mom or dad) the instant they cry.

    Ephraim has been doing some of those long naps too. It is crazy!

    ReplyDelete